Thursday, May 14, 2009

Embassy Birthday

My birthday was last Thursday the 7th and we went to the Embassy as we do most Thursdays for Happy Hour. This week they were having a Cinco de Mayo celebration which just added to the fun! Ok, I have been craving a margarita since like March, but they never had the mix to make one. Well low and behold this week they were able to get the mix and the drink special of the night was Margaritas! Yay Me! (did they know it was my birthday?)
From birthday week

Hanneke was there of course to help me celebrate and she bought me the cutest gift: a US Embassy Kuwait shot glass! She and I are both moms of young children and we very much look forward to our Thursday night drink together.

Of course there was still the usual fun things for the kids; like ice cream.
From birthday week

From birthday week

But the night had even more fun ahead! There is always a DJ there playing music and this week he was setting the Cinco de Mayo mood! The Embassy even brought in Salsa dance instructors to teach everyone how to Salsa. You know I was right out there learning the steps.
From birthday week

But when they broke into partner dancing, I drew the line. I don't think Ryan would have wanted me shakin' my groove thang with some strange guy. But here are the pros doing there thang....
From birthday week

The DJ really got the dance floor full when he played the Macarena! (remember that?!)
From birthday week

All the kids loved it, so we tried to teach them how.
From birthday week

From birthday week

Oh my gosh were we all having fun! After the Macarena all the kids stayed out on the dance floor doing there little dances to the latin groove.
From birthday week

How cute is this?
From birthday week

After awhile Calvin got tired of following Alayna's lead (read getting viciously pulled around by his little sister), and came up to me saying he had no one to dance with. I told him I would dance with him again and he politely declined. I said his friend Katherine would dance with him if he asked, and he politely declined. At this point I am getting somewhat irritated with the boy and say "Ok Calvin, if you could dance with anyone here who would you want to dance with?" He responds by pointing across the dance floor to one of the Salsa dance instructors, who was sitting at a table catching her breath. I told him to go ask her, and he got a little shy. I made him a deal that I would walk him over there, but if he wanted to dance with her he was going to have to ask her himself. He agreed! And he did it!
From birthday week

Do you see him looking at her? He was so proud of himself and completely taken with her. After a little while Alayna saw what was happening and wanted in. Here is a little video of both kids dancing with her.

After Calvin was done dancing with her he came over to his Dad and said "Dad, did you see me dancing with that hubba hubba?"

That's my boy!!!
From birthday week

2 comments:

Scott, Sarah, William, Daniel, Colin, and Sam said...

Okay, the pool video makes me so sad!! Our pool opens in a little over a week & I can't imagine a whole summer without the Bakazan kiddos. My kids are going to be SOOO sad when they realize no Calvin & Alayna this summer :-( We miss you guys!

momof2in09 said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Looks like u had a great time:-)