Friday, February 13, 2009

The Honeymoon is Over

Yes, we got our first real taste of Kuwait living this week, in the form of a pretty bad Sand Storm.

I woke up at 5:30 on Wednesday morning and went to get in the shower with my eyes still only half open, and then wondered what all that "stuff" was in the tub. I have a full time maid so it can't be dirt right? Oh, but it was! After I was in the shower a couple minutes and my eyes were now fully open I saw the dirt was pretty much everywhere and not just in the base of the tub. Turns out it had come through a little vent fan that is right above the bathtub along an outside wall. That was my first clue that today was not going to be another beautiful day in Kuwait!

When I went outside to get the kids in the car and off to school here is what I saw:
From 2009-02-15

From 2009-02-15

So good news, bad news here: Good news is that my maid will clean this up and I won't have to, bad news is it is going to get MUCH worse before it gets better.

Here is the sky a couple hours later:
From 2009-02-15

And even later in the day:
From 2009-02-15

I want to point out that that photo has not been altered in any way. It really was ORANGE outside! Kinda crazy isn't it?

This was day one of the sand storm it continued into Thursday, and didn't clear up until about 7pm Thursday night.

And so the beautiful 70 degree sunny days begin to fade into the heat and dust of the spring and summer in Kuwait. I promise you I will now enjoy every last nice day we have before the heat sets in for good.

1 comment:

Scott, Sarah, William, Daniel, Colin, and Sam said...

Oh, my gosh!! I don't envy you THAT experience at all. Do they make "sand coats" like rain coats to keep it out of your hair????