Thursday, April 9, 2009

Ryan's Trip to America

Dawn has allowed me to guest author this blog post, so here goes. I had to go back to the States to attend a one-week class at Fort Belvoir, VA (just south of DC). This is where we were stationed from 03 – 06, and where both of our kids were born, so I know the area well.

Since I was already back in the good old-USA, I intended to make the most of the 14 hour non-stop flight from Kuwait to DC. My parents were renting a condo in Ft. Myers, FL for a few weeks, so I flew down to visit them.

Florida in March is beautiful. My folks got to escape the seemingly never ending WI winter. We tried to not over schedule our days and relax as much as possible. Everyday we took a morning walk around the man made lake, went to the pool, and did a lot of relaxing.
From Ft Meyers 2009

I got to enjoy a nice glass of wine (and more than a few beers).
From Ft Meyers 2009

Mom and Dad also planned some fun outings. Dad booked us on a day-cruise that left from Sanibel Island and went to Cabbage Key (a small almost deserted island 10 miles off of Sanibel into the Gulf). The boat we were on is pictured in the background in the above picture.
From Ft Meyers 2009

On Cabbage Key we ate lunch at the island’s one restaurant – other than it being the only place to eat, the restaurant is famous for their hamburgers. In fact they claim Jimmy Buffet authored the song “Cheese Burger in Paradise” after visiting Cabbage Key.
From Ft Meyers 2009

After lunch we climbed to the top of an old water tower which afforded an awesome view of the Gulf.
From Ft Meyers 2009

Mom and Dad had a beer at the top of the water tower.
From Ft Meyers 2009

Here is a shot of some of the mansions on one of the exclusive islands we cruised past. It was a fun half day. We even saw dolphins and a manatee.
From Ft Meyers 2009

The condo had an awesome view. This is what we looked out at every morning while having coffee out on the screen porch. The condo has a great view of a small lake and the 13th hole of the country club’s golf course is on the far side of the water.

Dad and I even got in an afternoon of golf. We did see an 8 foot Florida gator sunning himself on the banks of a water hazard, but of course I did not have my camera.

It was awesome to spend some quality time with my parents. Big thanks to them for hosting me for the four days. We had an unforgettable time. Maybe we can do it again with the kids.

1 comment:

Q8Dutchie said...

Ryan, Ryan, Ryan... Considering what a time Dawn had, what you were SUPPOSED to say was: The weather was horrible, the trip was horrible, I got sick from all the bad food and am super glad to be home! ;)